I was born in 1989 so I have never encountered a mixtape. I grew up exposed to CDs, MP3s, and iTunes. I’ve had a lot of voice tapes back when I was about 3-5 years old. My mom mails them to my aunt and my dad. I’ve heard some of them and I couldn’t help but smile at my baby voice.
Back in high school, we used to download MP3s and “burn” CDs. I don’t even remember when the transition to mP3 players, iTunes, and iPods began.
Anyway, I only brought this up because I will use the term playlist instead of mixtape. I know that it’s pretty much the same but still.
Back to the main topic: The Playlist.
If I were to describe myself through song, then here’s the list:
1. A Whole New World (OST for Aladdin) – This song represents two things: 1) my love for Disney; and 2) my wanderlust.
2. Good Life (One Republic) – As you may have probably guessed, it represents my love for traveling and embarking on new adventures.
3. On My Own (OST for Les Miserables) – Not only do I love the meaning behind the song, but it also represents my love for musicals.
4. Island In The Sun (Weezer) – I love the lyrics, I love the melody. Whenever I hear this song, I imagine myself lounging by the beach basking under the sun. This song shows my laid-back attitude and my love for fun.
5. Raise Your Glass (P!nk) – Party girl Erika represent! This song reminds me of that phase of mine when I was constantly partying and getting wasted.
6. 1, 2, 3, 4 (The Plain White Ts) – This is our song. It’s not a romantic song, but it’s cute.